I featured the above photograph on Tuesday for the Photo of the Day but I liked it so much I wanted to feature it here too.
I know many of you are book fans, big book fans. I have written about why read to your baby before but things are now different for Otis. He can choose, open and read his own book. I love capturing these quiet moments of him reading to himself.
At twelve months I endeavor to teach him;
- How to hold a book (carefully and the right way up), I don't correct him if he holds it upside down but I do make a point of showing him the right way next time I get the chance.
- How to turn a page.
- There are pictures and words that tell the story.
- How to handle a book with respect, no throwing, don't step on them. I need to remind Caspar that he needs to be a good role model too.
- How and where to store books, put them away when finished.
- Reading is for enjoyment and it can be shared.
Because Caspar and Otis are so apart in age I like to read to them everyday together and separately. These rainy days it's mostly snuggled up in bed.
There is nothing better than finding Caspar reading to Otis. Caspar is shy about it, he only does it when they are alone, he'll stop as soon as I walk into the room.