- Dealing with disobedience
- Preventing problems by planning ahead
- Making shopping fun
- Raising confident, capable kids.
The last three modules were the highlight of the course and are about being positive and proactive. The last module of Raising confident, capable kids really resonated with me.
I also want to share my experience as to normalise parenting courses. Parenting and staying on top our techniques or methods can be difficult, it's completely ok to seek help and advice!
- The course helps you to develop a parenting plan. It gives logical strategies that you can fall back on, it takes the emotion and heat out of the moment. It allows us to know exactly what to do when or if the child misbehaves.
- The course provides ideas on why children behave the way they do. This is so important when we think about redirecting behavior or changing the way we parent.
- There are strategies to prevent problems - which is immensely helpful. Examples include having a safe and stimulating environment (creating a positive home environment). I don't feel like we have any issues around disobedience however I found the prevention strategies, the section on preventing problems really useful.
- Doing the course provides the opportunity for you to discuss strategies with your partner and be consistent from the start. This is a great prevention strategy, making and having a plan together, working together and checking in with each other regularly about what is working and what you would like to improve.
- I loved the discussion on planning for high-risk, high-stress situations. I definitely find it harder to be consistent with my parenting, my expectations, and my requests when I am busy or under stress. This is when these strategies will really kick in for me. The course goes through how to plan and anticipate these situations.
- I also really enjoyed discussion on parenting traps. Most of the parenting traps mentioned are things I haven't thought of before but are really important and I am now aware of. Now I feel like I won't be caught off guard and I will be prepared for all situations, ready to handle behavior that escalates. It is easier to stay calm when you have a prepared response.
- The Preventing problems by planning ahead module is the part of the course that I've found most helpful and where I have taken away the most ideas. I highly recommend my friends and family do the course for this section. Good ideas and tips for planning ahead to prevent problems is what all parents are looking for!
- The Making shopping fun module is also really proactive and another section I feel all parents should do!
- I mentioned the Raising confident and capable children module and this covers so many strategies Montessori and like-minded parents will really appreciate. The course works through six building blocks to becoming confident and capable. Again this includes lots of practical tips and ideas. The building blocks include;
1. Showing respect
2. Being considerate
3. Good social skills
4. Healthy self-confidence
5. Being a problem solver
6. Becoming independent
- There are lots of videos in the course and they are really short and really easy to get through.
- It's an eight-week course, although you can take it at your own pace, and if you are having difficulty getting through it, it is worth it to get to the last three modules.
- There is so much content and every parent will take away tips and ideas. Some of the printable checklists are really useful too.
- From the first login you have an entire year to access the course online, so you can do the course at your own pace and come back to it if something isn't working or if you need to go over the content.
As a reminder there are four ways for parents (carers and grandparents) can access Triple P for free in Queensland;
- By telephone. Call Parentline on 1300 30 1300 (for the cost of a local call) and ask to speak to a Triple P provider.
- In a group. Go to a seminar, a one-off workshop (discussion group) or group course.
- In private. Visit a provider for a one-on-one session.
- Online. Triple P Online Course.
Triple P is one of the world's most respected parenting programs. It has been extensively trialed, tested and researched. It has been proven to work for most families, time and time again. You can find out more on Triple P's Facebook page.
This post is sponsored by Triple P - Positive Parenting Program and the Queensland Government.
Triple P Online is currently free in Queensland, Australia, because it's being offered as part of a family support initiative funded by the Queensland Government. It is also free in some other places around the world (such as a few areas in South Australia, in North Carolina, USA, and Alberta, Canada).