Today I want to share some of the fun crafts Otis has been using recently. He is really enthusiastic about all of these and will work on them whenever he gets a minute.
1. Pattern Beading. Otis has been using these for weeks, we have the beads and set from Ikea.
2. Beading. We have coloured jewellery wire, wire snips (which Otis can use), lots of beads, metal clip hardware and pipe cleaners. Otis picked out the beads at our local craft store, he likes to make bracelets and key ring holders with the hardware, he also loves making bracelets with the pipe cleaners.
3. Knitting. Otis has been begging for me to teach him how to knit. We started with this chunky scarf. The rainbow wool is lovely, the large knitting needles have made it easier to teach as the stitches are large and more pronounced. If you have a younger child that is interested in knitting I recommend trying French knitting or using a lucet.
4. Using Alphabet Stickers. Otis is in a writing explosion. He loves writing with the movable alphabet and loves using alphabet stickers. I think it's a lot of fun but also educational, exposing him to a whole range of fonts makes him more familiar with the letters and improves his reading skills. Otis will use the stickers to make signs, write letters and just to play around.
5. Cutting and pasting from brochures. Otis loves plant and flower catalogues and loves to cut and paste with them and make pictures and collages.
6. Making Pom Poms. We have a couple of looms that make it very easy for a young child to make pop poms. This is lots of fun and we love working with wool! Weaving would also be a nice activity to try.
I would love to hear if you have a five year old and what kinds of craft they like!