I've been feeling disheartened this week. I took a step back to revisit the basics. I really wanted to share.
- Treat the child with the same respect as you would give an adult;
- Be consistent in your approach to the child;
- Provide encouragement and refrain from correction unless absolutely necessary;
- Provide an ordered and secure environment and routine;
- Allow the child to work at their own pace and without interference;
- Allow the child to be actively involved in decision making;
- Allow the child to have responsibility within their capabilities.
Simple. Not easy. Fundamental.