Is there anything better than a good jigsaw puzzle? Over the years my children have used many puzzles but their favourites by far are by Ravensburger. Once your toddler is out of the peg puzzle stage it can be hard to know what comes next. Well how about some two-piece, then four-piece and six-piece jigsaw puzzles?
Jigsaws make fantastic presents and you can find these or similar for almost any interest for any age. Jigsaw puzzles are perfect for children, friends and siblings to work on together, it creates a nice atmosphere of collaboration. Doing a jigsaw puzzle is another activity that provides a moment of calm and concentration for my toddler and older children. If the child finds the puzzle too hard, put it away and try again in a couple of weeks or even months. I usually present the puzzles in a basket or on a tray.
Although these Ravensburger puzzles are not photographic they illustrated in a life like way (not heavily stylised). They are interesting. I find toddlers are interested in books, toys and puzzles which they can relate to, that are about everyday life. My toddler can relate to all puzzles for 2 years, they include scenes, animals and vehicles that he knows the name of and that he is interested in. This is important in helping the child to know and understand the world in which they live. I hope you enjoy our selections!
From 2 years+ (2 to 8 pieces):
I presented these two-piece puzzles from around 18 months, but starting with one or two puzzles on a tray. Now at 25 months I present all pieces in a basket. Be sure to use the puzzles a few times yourself before giving them to the young toddler, just to loosen the pieces a little.
- My First Puzzles - At the Farm - includes nine puzzles, each puzzle has two pieces. Perfect for the new two year old.
- My First Puzzles - Emergency Vehicles - includes a bus, excavator and a much loved garbage truck. Includes nine puzzles, each puzzle has two pieces.
- My First Puzzles - Animals - contains nine puzzles, each puzzle has two pieces. Includes lots of familiar animals like ducks, cows, cats and dogs.
- My First Puzzles - Construction Vehicles. (Similar - At Work Vehicles) This pack is so useful if you are on a budget as it grows with the child. Contains four puzzles. One puzzle with two pieces, one puzzle with four pieces, one puzzle with six pieces and one puzzle with eight pieces!
From 3 years+ (15 pieces):
From 4 years+ (35 pieces):
- Busy Airport - 35 pieces.
- Waste Collection - 35 pieces.
- Busy Train Station - includes two puzzles, each with 24 pieces.
- Construction Site - includes two puzzles, each with 24 pieces.
- Merry Country Life - (Australian link) includes two puzzles, each with 24 pieces.
- Large Construction Site - 40 pieces.
- Dinosaur Playground - 35 pieces.
From 5 years+:
- Tropical Friends - 60 pieces, recommendation on box from 4 years.
- Construction Crowd - 60 pieces, recommendation on box from 4 years.
- New Neighbours - 60 pieces, recommendation on box from 4 years.
- Fire Brigade - (Australian link) includes 3 puzzles each with 49 pieces.
From 6 years+:
- Evening At The Waterhole - 300 pieces, recommendation on box for 9 yrs+.
- World 3D Globe - 180 pieces. Recommendation on box 7-12 years.
Melissa and Doug also have an excellent range of realistic jigsaw puzzles especially for toddlers and preschoolers, let me know if you'd like a separate post about these!
This post contains affiliate links.We may earn a small commission on products purchased through those links. Thank you for your support!