Floor beds are becoming more popular!! By two years of age many children have also transitioned to a toddler bed. So before Otto gets any older (he's currently 27 months) I want to share some pictures and note what his floor bed set up looks like.
At two years (27 months) we currently use:
- Cot Sized Floor Bed - c/o Sprout, we have one high side and one low side.
- Fitted sheet - we don't use a top sheet as it restricts movement. A fitted sheet is really important for the toddler as it doesn't bunch or come off.
- Hand Quilted Blanket - (blue and white stripes) we have used a toddler size duvet but prefer this lighter blanket right now. Having only a fitted sheet and a small blanket or toddler duvet allows the young child to fully participate in making their own bed.
- Toddler Sized Blanket - (cream), we use this at the end of the bed but is often used around the room, in the reading corner, etc.
- Toddler Pillow - at two years we use a pillow (teal) but we remove the yellow star pillow and any other extra pillows or cushions that make their way to his bed once he is asleep or while he is very sleepy.
- Doll - we have a Waldorf style Bamboletta doll with a soft body, it's comfortable to have in bed (it's also easy and fun to dress).
- Child Operated Nightlight - we use the Suzy Snooze as we found it really easy for the toddler to turn it on and off. We generally turn the night light off, when we/adults go to bed if it hasn't gone off before.
- Water Bottle - we use the Klean Kanteen water bottle which can be used in the dark with out the toddler spilling. Otto drinks a lot at night but if you are having lots of night time toilet visits then it might be something to be careful about.
- Books - Otto does a lot of reading while getting ready for bed. Hairy Maclary and Mog books are favourites right now. At bedtime he selects a few books to read and put by his bed, in the morning we usually return them to the little bookshelf c/o Tidy Books.
- Toddler Friendly Torch - our torch c/o Lovevery has been designed specifically for toddlers, it's easy for toddlers to use or even play with in the evening.
- Family Photograph - I love to have at least one photo on the bedside table. Mostly we have pictures of Otto with his brothers and I know this is one of his favourites. This frame is toddler friendly so the child can actually remove the image and put another photograph in independently.
- Music Box - our toddler loves to listen to music when he is getting tired and ready for bed. It's a nice way to calm down and signal that it's getting close to sleep time. We have the Kinderkram Wooden Music Box pictured on the bedside table but we often use the Horbert (which is entirely toddler friendly) or the My Fabulous Storyteller c/o lunii (toddlers will need some adult assistance).
- Bedside Table - we use a cube chair as a bedside table. My other children didn't use a bedside table at this age, but it's been useful.
- Pyjamas - we only use two piece pyjamas at this age. For toddlers using the potty a one piece pyjama suit is not an option. We haven't used a sleep sack as they can prohibit movement. We have a radiator in the room but it is turned down as low as possible, we keep the rest of the house warm and his room doesn't feel cold.
This (pictured above) is why we use a floor bed. Autonomy, freedom of movement, sense of self.
Toys especially little tractors, diggers and cars often make their way into the bed. We check at night and remove any extraneous toys or books.
It's also nice to have a brother in bed, just for a little bit!
It is important to note that we sleep with the bedroom doors open and Otto co-sleeps as he wishes. Daytime naps are starting to get difficult but sleeping and nap times are all child led.
This post includes affiliate links. Thank you for your support!!