Silence can be harmful. I feel like I don't know enough about race to say anything but I don't want to be silent. I have a voice and I want to share some of the small actions I've taken this week.
(Pre)Ordered: AntiRacist Baby Board Book – by Ibram X. Kendi (Author), Ashley Lukashevsky (Illustrator). The National Book Award-winning author of Stamped from the Beginning and How to Be an Antiracist has written a new board book that empowers parents and children to uproot racism in our society and in ourselves. "A beautiful board book that shows parents and children how to say no to racism. In the book there are nine easy steps that our little ones can take so we can have a more equitable world. It's the perfect gift and it will start many conversations between parents and children." Goodreads.
Image credit and interview at: Embracing Equality.
Reading: This Book Is Anti-Racist: 20 lessons on how to wake up, take action, and do the work by by Tiffany Jewell (Author) and Aurelia Durand (Illustrator). Tiffany is a Montessori educator and consultant so her words and approach may resonate with you. Tiffany takes you step by step through your own anti racism work. It was this that finally shifted my mindset about being active and not passive regarding racism, and sharing that on this platform. I'm about half way through this book and I've learnt a lot regarding privilege and language.
There was distinct lack of BIPOC families in my feed. By increasing the BIPOC families I'm following I know that I can raise my level of awareness and increase the diversity in the content that I share.
- Lyric Sanaa - (pictured above) look for super cute videos and Montessori at home ideas.
- Polished Playhouse - beautiful Montessori home with lots of activities.
- Raising Yannis - Montessori toddler activities and shelf ideas, bilingual parenting.
- Montessori Madre - toddler ideas and outdoor nature play!
- School at Home and Beyond - the most stunning home (Montessori) classroom.
- Learn Outside the Box - so may activity ideas and DIYS!
- Ashley's List - not a lot of posts but wow this playspace! 💓
- Here Wee Read - diversity & inclusion expert, sharing diverse children's books.
I've also started following The Conscious Kid which is a good resource for respectful parenting. Please let me know if this has been useful for you.
I hope you have a safe and cozy weekend!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.