Do your children like to use real tools, connect things, screw and unscrew things or join things together? If so they might enjoy using a Montessori Screw/Bolt board.
I introduced this board (pictured above) to my child at 2yrs (34-35months) and he still loves it today at 4 years old.
We have a simple board with a screwdriver, t-nuts and screws which are all the same size. Other boards are available that have graded bolts, that use spanners or hex keys.
While the bolt/screw board is not a traditional Montessori practical life material they allow the child to develop the practical life skill of using a screwdriver and depending on the board, allow the child to practice one skill at a time.
The Montessori Bolt/Screw Board can help develop:
- muscles of the wrists and fingers
- the pincer grasp
- fine motor skills
- hand-eye coordination
- bilateral coordination - both hands working together
- visual discrimination
- problem-solving skills
- self-satisfaction & self-esteem.
The bolt/screw board is simple to use. For a young child of two years, we could put the screws in and allow the child to screw them all the way in. The hardest part for the child is getting started. Many children will also enjoy twisting and winding the screws in with their fingers. Of course, be mindful of small parts, supervision is required.
The turning of the wrist when using the screwdriver is of particular note, there are many fine motor skill activities but few require the wrist to be used like this.
This activity helps to prepare the hand for writing.
While this is a fantastic activity for developing fine motor skills, it also promotes concentration and focus.
This activity also allows children to use real tools which they can later apply to real-world situations.
Most of all children love using the bolt/screw board!
Our Bolt/Screw board is by Rata and Roo (currently sold out) but here are some other options:
- Bolt Boards included Graded Bolt Boards at Montessori Services.
- Montessori Wooden Screw Board by Satts Maps (Etsy) (AU).
- Montessori Screwdriver Board by Bear Timber (Etsy) (AU).
- Montessori Screw Driver Board by Indigo Game (Etsy).
- Montessori Screw Board by MamaPsPlaceLLC (Etsy) (US).
- Screwdriver, Hex Key and Spanner Bolt Sets by Absorbent Minds (UK).
- Montessori Nuts and Bolts Board on Amazon.
- Montessori Screw Driver Board on Amazon.
- DIY Nut, Screw, Bolt Board at mousehouse.
- DIY Montessori 4-in-1 Bolt Board at Midwest Montessori.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you so much for your support!